2018 General Election
The General Election for City Council will be held on Saturday, May 5th. This year the positions on the ballot will be for Mayor and Council member Places 1, 3 and 5.
A candidate must:
- be a resident of the City for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the election, and live in the filing district for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot;
- be at least twenty-one years of age on the first day of the filing period;
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a qualified voter of the City of Decatur, Texas;
- not file for more than one office or position number per election;
- not continue as an employee of the City in such position after becoming a candidate for a City elective office;
- not have been finally convicted of a felony criminal offense;
- not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be: totally mentally incapacitated; or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
The filing period for a place on the May 5th City of Decatur General Election ballot begins Wednesday, January 17th and will continue through Friday, February 16th, at 5:00 p.m. The City Secretary’s regular office hours are Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (please call to schedule an appointment to file your application 940-393-0204).
Forms and information for the 2018 City of Decatur General Election will be available in the City Secretary’s Office located at 201 E. Walnut Street, in the City Hall building. For additional information, please call 940-393-0204